Friday, May 25, 2007

Why employees leave organisations?

A friend of mine recently sent me an article.



Why employees leave organisations?


http://www.citehr.com/why-employees-leave-organisations-azim-premji-vt2059.html




This article makes me think of the recent happenings around me. The company is losing quite a number of people. I guess one of the reason is because there are so many opportunites out there nowadays, and with many new companies sprouting out, it is no wonder why people want to leave. But on top of this, there is also another reason which, I believe, is valid enough to make one change company.





An excerpt from the article:



If you're losing good people, look to their immediate supervisor. More than any other single reason, he is the reason people stay and thrive in an organization. And he's the reason why they quit, taking their knowledge, experience and contacts with them. Often, straight to the competition. "People leave managers not companies," write the authors Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman.




Upon reading this, I thought of the people who are leaving the company. It is true, to a certain extent, that the supervisors/managers did indeed play a part (disclamer: does not apply to all). In one way or another, if one feels the limitation of his/her growth within the dept, job focus is made unclear because of many reasons, directions are often ambiguous, disinterest in the job, there is a tendency for him/her to look elsewhere. The above relates to all supervisors/managers, which I believe, if they take the chance to review and improve the situation, he/she may still be able to keep his/her employee.





Actually, I am in no position to say the above as I have not exactly experienced leaving the company because of the "boss". But it is truly the case for some of my colleagues, who have come from other companies. I guess, to stay or to leave a company depends on what do you want. Do you want to grow with the company, to strive and to learn new things, or to just do whatever your job scope require of you? All these, in one way or another, are linked to the supervisor/manager.





I was recently being faced with a dilemma to accept another job scope or you can say, another area of expertise. This situation arose due to the decreasing size of our team. If I accept this new job scope (not exactly new, as I've done it before for a few months), the "boss" would be free of one problem and all the other team members will be happy. However, it is not what I want as I am satisfied with my current job scope. I am learning what really interest me, eventhough it may take me a bit longer than others to fully understand. I would prefer to continue with what I am doing now and hope to excel in it. Hence, my decision was clear, and that is to remain in my current job scope. Luckily, the "boss" did not insist.





One will go, no matter what, when a better opportunity arises. It cannot be guaranteed that once you leave this company, your supervisor/manager of the new company will be better. But, I strongly believe that the supervisor/manager will somehow play a part in the employee's decision on whether to stay or leave a company.





What do you think?



No comments: